4 Reasons To Make This The Year You Switch To Healthy Non Toxic CookwareJun 20, 2023
If you have not already switched to healthy non toxic cookware, then read this article for four reasons why switching to healthy cookware that’s non toxic is important. You’ll learn about the benefits of switching to healthy non toxic cookware, health risks from traditional cookware, and tips on finding the healthiest non toxic cookware. Tthere's no better time than the present to start investing in safe non toxic cookware, even if you replace one piece at a time.
1. Non Toxic Cookware is Better for Your Body
You’re probably considering nontoxic cookware because of the associated health benefits of doing so. No surprise here–-nontoxic cookware is a healthier alternative to traditional cookware.
Over the years, traditional pots, pans, and bakeware have included dangerous and sometimes deadly chemicals and toxins such as:
- Forever Chemicals: Nonstick pans are often coated with Forever Chemicals, a class of chemicals that are expected to take decades to biodegrade. Some are known to be highly toxic. Below are two examples.
- PTFEs: More commonly known by the brand name Teflon®, PTFE is one of the most toxic chemicals found in nonstick cookware. Though it offers a fantastic slick surface for easy cooking, it also is extremely dangerous. Its toxic fumes have killed birds almost instantly.
- PFOAs: Some nonstick pans contain PFOA, or “C8,” a Forever chemical that also accumulates in the body and can cause untold health damage including increasing risks of high cholesterol, thyroid disease, testicular cancer, kidney cancer, and pregnancy-induced hypertension.
- Aluminum: While aluminum is lightweight and a great conductor of heat, it can leach into food from the aluminum cookware when heated. Cooking foods, like acidic ones, can exacerbate the aluminum leaching. Studies have investigated whether using aluminum cookware contributes to Alzheimer’s Disease and kidney diseases. The general consensus is that the risks are probably low. However, there are simple ways to reduce your aluminum exposure from your aluminum cookware. Click here to learn more: Is aluminum cookware safe?
- Lead: Some cookware (like metal cookware and ceramic cookware) contain lead, which is highly toxic to humans.
By contrast, cast iron and stainless steel are thought to be among the healthiest non toxic cookware types.
2. Non Toxic Cookware Is Better for the Earth
Using toxic pans can contaminate your diet and body with toxic chemicals and heavy metals. In addition, these substances too often pollute our groundwater and food web. Wildlife with alarming health trends have been found to have higher body burdens of certain toxic chemicals. These chemicals are disrupting ecosystems and all life forms.
3. Non Toxic Cookware Is Often More Durable Than Conventional Cookware
Have you ever heard of a legacy pan? Some families pass down cast iron from generation to generation because it’s so durable.
Stainless steel is another example of a relatively nontoxic cookware material that lasts for many years if cared for properly.
By contrast, many types of nonstick cookware eventually lose their non stick properties, requiring replacement over time. Therefore, choosing a nontoxic cookware solution could yield more durability and a longer lifespan.
4. Non Toxic Cookware Offers Excellent Cooking Performance
The best non toxic pans, pots, and bakeware yield amazing cooking results. What are the best non toxic pans made of?
Cast iron is a fantastic material for non toxic cookware. It also offers fantastic heat retention that is excellent for searing everything from porterhouse steaks to pan-fried dumplings. Cast iron also has a natural nonstick coating that’s free of toxic chemicals.
Stainless steel also makes the best non toxic saucepan and pot for boiling water.
Some of today’s best non toxic saucepans utilize new types of ceramic nonstick coatings. To ensure that they are nontoxic, learn more about the ingredients used and under what conditions they may leach ingredients into your food.
As for bakeware, nontoxic ceramic, cast iron, and glass are great options.
Find The Perfect Nontoxic Cookware for You Now
Ready to mindfully investigate nontoxic cookware options that meet your needs? Head to the Ruan Living nontoxic kitchen corner of our site to shop around. It shares what Sophia, our founder, has chosen as the healthiest non toxic cookware for her family.
Stay connected with nontoxic lifestyle news and updates!
Receive our free Ruan Living Nontoxic Cleaning Guide when you join our email list.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.