Top 3 Tips for a Nontoxic Lifestyle with Samantha Radford, Evidence Based MommyFeb 08, 2024
What are the top three ways to start detoxing your lifestyle from harmful chemicals, heavy metals, and EMFs?
Sophia shares her answers and discusses nontoxic lifestyles and approaches to motherhood with Samantha Radford from Evidence Based Mommy.
Samantha Radford is a PhD chemist, Public Health expert, and mom of four. Learn more about her here!
Listen to the podcast below, or across all major podcast platforms
Keep reading for the Show Notes!
[00:00] Non-toxic living and motherhood with a PhD chemist and public health expert.
- Samantha Radford, PhD chemist and public health expert, shares her journey to nontoxic living and resources for moms and young kids.
[02:03] Nontoxic living and simplifying practical tips for parents.
- Sophia shares her passion for simplifying nontoxic living, inspired by her daughter and career in distressed investing. After discovering toxic chemicals, heavy metals, and radiation in her daughter's products and environment, she shifted her career and personal priorities.
[06:48] Nontoxic lifestyle strategies for families.
- Importance of nontoxic living and shares the top three suggestions for beginners.
[13:09] Indoor air quality and its impact on health.
- Importance of indoor air quality, citing EPA findings that indoor air can be 2-5 times more polluted than outdoor air, and simple steps to improve it, such as ventilating during cooking and opening windows when air quality is better outside.
[18:36] Reducing toxic exposure in daily life.
- Keeping phones and other devices away from bedrooms to reduce radiation exposure.
- Buying organic produce from the "Dirty Dozen" and "Clean 15" lists to minimize pesticide exposure.
- Lead and asbestos in older homes built before 1978 and taking steps to remediate them.
- Encapsulation or fresh paint can help cover up lead in walls, windowsills, and door frames.
- Potential health risks associated with pre-2013 glass baby bottles.
[28:04] Toxic chemicals in products and their health impacts.
- Pros and cons of different paint brands, with a focus on low VOC (volatile organic compound) options.
- Concerns about the safety of lead in products like lipstick and backpacks and suggests visiting the Environmental Working Group for more information.
- Lipstick can contain harmful chemicals like lead, which can enter the body through skin absorption or ingestion.
- Challenges of measuring chemical concentrations in products, including the limitations of using parts per million or billion as a measure of safety.
[33:19] Nontoxic living and parenting.
- Prioritize your mental health and set up your home to minimize exposure to toxic chemicals, wanting her children to be carefree and enjoy celebrations without anxiety.
Stay connected with nontoxic lifestyle news and updates!
Receive our free Ruan Living Nontoxic Cleaning Guide when you join our email list.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.