EHS Symptoms from EMF ExposureJun 27, 2017
While researching the biological effects from our modern exposures to chemicals, heavy metals, and electromagnetic fields (EMFs) for my book A to Z of D-Toxing, I was able to start associating certain symptoms with certain environments. For example, in a new home office of mine, the longer I stayed in my office, the stronger became my feelings of nausea, pressure in my chest, and tingling in my finger tips and teeth.
Eventually, I hired an EMF expert to measure my home to see what I could change so that my own home office didn't make me sick! With an EMF meter, I heard and saw how high the EMF exposures were in my office. The source was in an adjacent room: a new television that was emitting high EMF levels from its speakers.
Below is more information from my editorial team on signs that your body may be burdened from chronic and high levels of EMF exposures. Recognizing this can empower you to give your body more breaks. Rest will increase your body's potential resiliency for when it cannot avoid higher EMF exposures.
—Sophia Ruan Gushée
Our increased exposure to electromagnetic fields (EMFs) is becoming a growing concern as most of us feel the need to surround our everyday lives in electrical and wireless technology. From the constant use of mobile phones while messaging, gaming and scrolling through social media to the dozens of appliances in our homes, we all run the risk of damaging our health and wellbeing while using these products.
The risk of EMF exposure symptoms is especially high for those with EHS. Electro-hypersensitivity (EHS) is a sensitivity to electromagnetic fields, resulting in negative symptoms that can impact your daily life. Many of us, although not aware of it, could be suffering from EHS.
EHS was first recognized in 1932 by a German medical doctor named Erwin Schliephake. He published scientific data about his patients that were experiencing significant symptoms around radio towers. He named this condition “microwave sickness” or “radio wave sickness”. The EHS symptoms he witnessed included:
- Headaches to the point of intolerability
- Severe tiredness and fatigue during the day
- Fitful sleep at night
- High susceptibility to infection
In 1970, a report from the former Soviet Union described the "microwave syndrome" among military staff working with radio and radar equipment. These staff showed similar EMF exposure symptoms including dizziness, headaches, fatigue, sleep disturbances and problems with concentration and memory.
The same symptoms are reported in people all over the world, with electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS) being attributed to exposure to electromagnetic fields (EMF).
Many years ago, Doctor Erwin Schliephake knew that humans react negatively to long-term exposures to EMFs, though corporations and governments are still trying to deny it today.
A large portion of the general population now experiences one or more EHS symptoms. Maybe you've been complaining too often about feeling tired during the day and put it down to age or long hours at work. There's a very high chance that this tiredness could be a symptom of too much EMF exposure. 100% of the population is exposed to EMF pollution but most of us are doing nothing about it.
Of particular concern is involuntary exposure to EMFs from several sources. Most people are unaware of this type of exposure, because it has no color, smell, or visibility. There is an increasing concern that wireless use of laptops and iPads in schools, where some have even abandoned textbooks, will intensify the exposure to EMFs.
Learn More: Are EMFs Harmful?
Primary EHS Symptoms
Individuals with EHS will commonly experience the following EMF exposure symptoms:
- Tension headaches along the sides of the head and temple area
- Heart palpitations and a pressure in the chest
- Feeling that the heart wants to jump out of the chest while at the same time the chest is being stepped upon
- Skin burning, redness, rashes and tingling particularly on the face and arms
- Difficulty sleeping, including interrupted, light, or dreamless sleep
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Fatigue and tiredness during the day (even after many hours of sleep, tiredness pervades the day)
- Cognitive decline
- Memory and concentration difficulties – a “brain fog” and feeling that one’s brain has aged 30 years in a short period of time
Secondary EHS Symptoms
Other less common EMF exposure symptoms reported by EHS individuals include:
- Anxiety or tension within the body (often experienced as inner agitation that seemingly comes from nowhere. In retrospect, the person is near a cell phone tower, cordless phone or Wi-Fi router).
- Inability to heal quickly from virus, bacterial and parasitic infections (because the immune system is already over-taxed).
- Lightheadedness or vertigo
- Temporary inability to speak coherently
- Mood-swings (the endocrine system, which governs our hormones, is highly affected by EMF pollution).
- Arm, finger and leg twitching (involuntary finger movements when exposed to microwave radiation from radio towers)
- Loss of productiveness
Ways to Decrease EMF Exposure
If you are experiencing these symptoms you should consider decreasing your exposure to EMFs in your daily life. EMF Detox is an online workshop that can help. Visit EMF Detox to learn more.
DECONSTRUCT TO RECONSTRUCT.
Deconstruct your habits, mindset, and assumptions to reconstruct your home, diet, self-care, and technology relationship for a practical nontoxic and healing lifestyle. We're bringing consciousness to unconscious choices.
Start by detoxing your cleaning.
Join our mailing list and enjoy our free download of our beautiful Nontoxic Cleaning Cheat Sheet.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.