Sole Water RecipeDec 22, 2017
by Sophia Ruan Gushée
An easy way to help boost your digestion, soothe your nervous system, improve hydration, and improve your skin, hair, and nails may be to start your day with salt water. Yes, salt water. In fact, it's a thing. It's called sole (pronounced so-lay). You can read more about the reported health benefits and my personal experience with drinking it in my upcoming article on Well+Good. Below is the recipe.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Unprocessed, mineral-rich salt, like Himalayan pink salt, Grey Atlantic Sea Salt (sometimes called Celtic Grey)
- Glass jar
- Plastic lid for the glass jar (no metal)
- Filtered water
WHAT YOU DO
- Fill the bottom layer of the jar with one, or a combination, of the salts listed above. Recipes often recommend filling the jar 1/4 to 1/3 full of salt. I find even less salt is needed, but I create a layer of salt at the bottom of the jar. You can always add more over time, as needed.
- Fill the jar with filtered water, leaving 2 inches of clearance at top of jar
- Add plastic lid and shake the mixture, or mix really well with a non-metal utensil
- Leave overnight
- From the next morning onwards, drop a teaspoon of sole into an 8oz glass of water. "Conventional" wisdom advises doing this first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, which gets your digestion started for more efficient breakdown of what you'll ingest and prepare your body for more absorption of vitamins and minerals
- Listen to your body about how often you should do this. Some people do this every day. Some should maybe do this occasionally. And some should not do this at all. As with anything, consult your doctor first. I have enjoyed improved energy and sleep from drinking sole.
DECONSTRUCT TO RECONSTRUCT.
Deconstruct your habits, mindset, and assumptions to reconstruct your home, diet, self-care, and technology relationship for a practical nontoxic and healing lifestyle. We're bringing consciousness to unconscious choices.
Start by detoxing your cleaning.
Join our mailing list and enjoy our free download of our beautiful Nontoxic Cleaning Guide. It shares the safest cleaning approach for you and our ecosystems.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.